As you consider the design of a new backyard swimming pool, you’ll think about how you’re going to get in and out of the pool. Swimming pool steps come in different types and styles, so you can create a customized look for your pool.
Styles of Swimming Pool Steps
- Straight steps. If you’re interested in having maximum swimming space in your pool, straight steps in one of the corners may be best.
- Steps that stretch the entire width of the pool. This style looks nice, but it does take up more swimming space.
- Ledge. Building a ledge or shallow shelf into your swimming pool is a popular feature. It gives you a place to sit and relax in the water without being completely submerged. Standard steps can be incorporated into the ledge to make it easy to use.
- Swim out area. While this isn’t technically steps, it’s a type of ledge on the deep end of a pool that allows a swimmer to push off into the water. For larger pools, having a swim-out ledge on one end as well as entry steps on the shallow end is a good way to ensure various options for exiting and entering.
- Roman steps. This classic style features curved steps descending into the pool, usually with narrower steps at the top and longer steps at the bottom. They are often built outside the main pool area, so they don’t take up swimming space.
- Wedding cake steps. This beautiful style looks like half of a three-tiered wedding cake on the end or corner of your pool.
- Customized steps. Our expert pool designer, Nate Green, can give you a completely personalized look with customized steps in a shape that matches your pool.
Many backyard swimming pools use ladders as a way for people to get in and out of the pool. Ladders are simple, inexpensive, and removable, so you can easily replace them if you have to. However, ladders have some disadvantages, too. They don’t look as nice as steps. Ladders are also more difficult to use than steps.
Keeping Pool Steps Clean
Swimming pool steps are one of the first places in your pool to look dirty. In terms of color, white steps will show dirt very clearly. A darker color, such as blue or gray will camouflage the dirt. Check out our post about swimming pool stain removal to remove and prevent spots and stains on your pool and steps.
Choose Saturn Pools for Your New Pool or Spa
Saturn Pools is your source for custom-designed backyard pools and spas. We always listen carefully to your ideas, so when it comes to the design and construction of your swimming pool steps, we’ll make sure you get what you want. Saturn Pools has been designing and building pools in the Phoenix area since 2004. Our extensive experience is your assurance that you’ll get a high-quality swimming pool.
Would you like to discuss a new swimming pool with us? Contact us to schedule a one-hour appointment with Nate Green. We are currently scheduling appointments in Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale, Peoria, Wickenburg, Wittmann, Waddell, Anthem, New River, Carefree, as well as Cave Creek ONLY.